Masks enable you to change the usage of a segment’s elements from their default values
This is where masks come in. Masks enable you to change the usages of a segment’s elements depending on what position the segment appears in. A segment can have more than one mask.
Step 1 – Adding a Mask To A Segment
- Click on the TEMPLATE SEGMENTS tab on the EDI Rules Creator Studio. Double click on the template segment you want to add a mask to graphic
- When the Template Segment screen appears click on the ADD MASK Button. This will cause a new column named Mask1 to be added to the table graphic
- Enter the new usages for the elements in the Mask1 column as shown above and click on the UPDATE button to save
AMT segment’s elements have a default usage of OPTIONAL, OPTIONAL and OPTIONAL for it’s 3 elements. Now it also has a mask with element usages of REQUIRED, NOTUSED and OPTIONAL. This means that this segment can be used in two different positions with different element usages
Step 2 – Using Masks
At this point we have segment AMT that contains a mask. Instead of using the default element usages we want to use the mask created in Step 1.
- Double click on the AMT segment graphic
- The Segment screen will appear. You will now see all the details of the AMT segment as well as a new column named Mask1.
- To use Mask1 just select 1 from the Mask combo box
- Click on the UPDATE button to update the segment
Mask2 has now been applied to AMT at this position.